Tips for Communication Better
Communicating with someone that has Dementia is not something we can learn overnight. It takes time and patience. Here are a few tips:
- get close enough to the person so that they can see your mouth moving and facial expressions
- always make eye contact when talking with the person
- remind them who you are and why you are there
- engage them into the conversation by using their name and asking them questions
- use hand gestures and movements to help them understand you
Last but not least, Humour can be very helpful is easing tention and helping your loved one open up during a conversation.